07 February 2006

Recovery position

No booze today. Big weekend. On arrival back to London I wound up drinking beer all day with friends. Which is great, but you know, after Friday and Saturday, it may not have been the best or most healthy way to spend Sunday.

I was drinking in Clapham, which is quite a groovy part of South London, but wasn't able to shake the sense of displacement. It's the south of the river thing. It feels weird. Ru agreed with me. Perhaps there's some sort of mystical energy barrier flowing with the Thames? I don't know. It's strange though, and I'm not the only one that thinks so. I did find two new pubs that I liked, and one pub that may be the most soul-less drinking establishment in history. It's called SW4. It's right by Clapham Common tube station, and is high on my list of places never to go back to. Never go there. Ever.

Went to see Walk the Line this evening. Thought it was exceptional, especially the performances. Not the hugest Cash fan myself, though his cover of Hurt is one of the greatest songs of the last 20 years, but the film still resonated. Not the hugest Joaquin Pheonix fan either ('cept for SpaceCamp), but he's awesome in the movie and sounds so close to Cash it's remarkable.

Want to see Syriana and Good Night, and Good Luck. Never thought I'd want to see two George Clooney movies in theatres at the same time.

No comments: