14 June 2008

a word on pictures

Due to indecisiveness I am now using both flickr and picasa. This is hardly newsworthy I suppose, and certainly not the sort of reflective chronicling I do on this page, but I thought my faithful dozen or so readers should know. I like picasa for its file management and flickr because it's quirky and the photo quality is far superior. Its file management is, sadly, rubbish and unintuitive. 

So I've broken it down like this -

Party, people and events shots are going on picasa. It's easier for people to browse and whatnot.
 
Arty, landscape-y, abstract-y pics will go on flickr. Because they look better there. And context is less of an issue. There may still be people shots, but probably not portraits. Unless they're particularly arty, landscape-y, abstract-y or some combination of the three.

I'm updating both sites today with shots of France and the wedding I attended. Have a look. The flickr page allows you to comment, so please feel free. 

Preferably more frequently than you do here. 

3 comments:

Oli said...

An interesting reasoning behind choosing the two sites for different purposes, and one that I agree with. I think Flickr could also benefit from the AJAX features that Picasa (and Facebook, which massacres images) have implemented, ie the keyboard navigation control shortcuts.

Richard said...

Flickr's quirks are growing on me, but I agree about the navigation stuff. Facebook's treatment of photos is horrific - if it weren't for the social aspect of it I wouldn't use it at all.

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.