10 September 2005

A September Miscellany...

A few strange things have been happening of late. Some of them my business, some of them not. I try not to comment on the stuff that isn't my business.

First off, I bumped in to the mother of an ex yesterday. Talk about feeling violated. It's not that I don't like her - she's a lunatic and that often inspires affection from me. It's just that she wasn't meant to be here. She's meant to be in Ireland. And there she was, strolling down Church St as though she owned it. I desperately tried to seem as delighted to see her as she seemed to see me. I think the look of shock on my face pleased her. So we chatted on the street, me grinning like an idiot and then she followed me to the shop. It turns out my ex's entire immediate family are in town. Now granted, this is an ex 5 years since. It's still weird. I think it always will be.

Secondly, there's yet another house guest. And he's an old mate and huge amounts of fun and a corrupting influence of high standing. But I just don't need it right now. The night before last was a fun opportunity to catch up, eat well and drink well. But I need to hide now. And hiding in St Andrews isn't as easy as it looks. Especially when I have to be at work for 8 hours, and as such people will know where the fuck I am.

Thirdly: extrovert clothing. A friend and I were catching up and the subject turned to a mutual mate whose dress sense was nothing but straight-laced conservative. Fine shirts, ironed to a razor point, cords, chinos and jeans of the non-worn variety. Nice, classic jumpers - you know the type. However, underneath this rigid ensemble were, without fail, the most outrageous socks you could imagine. Bright, flamboyant and generally silly socks that could hurt the eyes depending on design. Brilliant.

I think it's healthy to have a bit of extrovert clothing. I'm not a fashionable person. I wear various combinations of jeans and t-shirts. In the summer it's shorts and t-shirts. I'm in a perpetual state of being slightly underdressed. I'm happy with this. It means I'm comfortable. But I too have my extrovert item of clothing. Boxers. It's fun. It's like that Calvin & Hobbes cartoon where Calvin is strutting through each panel with a massive grin, his mother looking at him as though he's insane. The last panel has him reflecting that not everyone appreciates how amazing he is when he wears his rocket ship underpants. Or something like that. So I wear outrageous boxers and it sometimes prompts a small grin. It's not like anyone's going to see them, the way things have been going of late.

So - what pieces of clothing do you wear that are that little bit silly? Socks? Boxers? Thongs? T-shirts? S & M gear? Trousers? Hats? Sarongs? Answers in comments. I'm curious.

I've moved my driving test to 17 October. But now it's in Dundee. Ugh. Still need something sooner. Just want it over and done with.

Summer has left Scotland. It is dark, grey, cold and ominous.

I haven't packed anything yet. I should do, I know that. I should pack up the massive amounts of books and clothes that I am neither going to read or wear between now and when I leave. Soon.

It's my mother's birthday today. I remembered to send a card yesterday. I sent it Special Delivery. I hope it gets there today. I've already phoned to wish her a happy birthday. She sounded like she was having a good day so far.

I bought an iPod nano. Compulsive and stupid when one's income is coming to a halt in a month? Compulsive and stupid when I have not one, but two other iPods? Yes. To both. It hasn't arrived yet though. Monday. Really looking forward to it.

No comments: