29 July 2005

Always take the weather with you...

This was going to be a gripe about the weather in St Andrews, which has been pretty dreadful for the past week. But with 37 inches of rain falling on Mumbai in about 6 hours, bitching about the weather seems somewhat base and childish. And even though those are two of my finest or character traits, I think I'll put it on hold. The weather bitching that is; I'll continue to be base and childish for the rest of my life, I'm sure.

So what to write about? Well, I had an idea the other day. It's an odd one, but bear with me.

I have 4 serious writing projects on the go at the moment. And by serious I mean they are projects I want to see through to publication and production in their respective mediums. I rarely get time to work on them as my full time job is time consuming.

So this is my idea: I want to rent a cottage on the island of Raasay and write for 6-8 weeks. I figure that's what it will take to complete the first and largest of the projects (a novel) and allow me to flesh out the other projects.

So, that's it. I plan to quit my job and become a hermit. It's quite a lifestyle change. But it's more than that, it's doing what I want to do, what I feel I ought to be doing.

There's a song by Barenaked Ladies, on their Maroon album, called Never Do Anything. It's about the ultimate archair loudmouth who can do nothing but stare at the TV, movies, books, business and say I could do that, and do it better, if I wanted but I can't be bothered. I don't want to be that guy. Even if I'm wrong, and the novel sucks, and my other ideas are dreadful, I'll know. I'll know that I wasn't meant to be doing that and go back to something like the wine trade or mediaeval (that's how we spell it in St Andrews) history. Neither of which is a bad place to be.

It's not going to happen tomorrow. But this is where news will be posted.

If it is a success... well then all of you can tell everyone how you read my blog back in the day. And will hopefully keep reading it.

If not - well, I'll start boring you about wine.

No comments: